Monday, January 25, 2010

Listening to the Dairy Farmer

I just sent a Letter to the Editor of our local paper. I had seen the tragic story of the New York dairy farmer who recently killed his 51 cows and then killed himself. I can't imagine the grief his family must be feeling. My heart goes out to them . This is what I said in my letter.

Dear Editor,
No one listened when the milk price dropped to below a 1970 level . No one listened when farmers began losing their farms . No one listened when farmers were pleading for a fair price for their milk that could actually pay their bills with. No one listened as dairy farmers were asked to send their cows to be slaughtered , even as cows were being imported to the US. And no one was listening as a dairy farmer in New York , out of desperation and depression , killed his 51 cows and then killed himself . Is someone going to listen now ??

No comments:

Post a Comment